Calvin is basking in all the media attention given to the college (well, we like to think so) with President Bush's coming as the school's 2005 commencement speaker. Reading the newspapers, I am finding out how Calvin humility is playing its part in the lives of Calvin alumni everywhere. And then there's the debate on what humility is. It's funny to find out more and more how conservative people here are, not so much different from people back home, and in Asia in general.
I can say that Prof Vanden Bosch is going to have plenty of calls and offers from now on, I don't think he'd move to a different school, he can't! We love him too much over here...but those phone calls, offer letters, etc. will make good stories for him to tell...if he did leave Calvin (as I should give this allowance), well, I should say, I'm sure he's off to better himself. Besides this, the S-LC is probably gonna get lotta funding for next year, but I am glad for this (I love that place! and it's not just because I work there).
It was interesting sitting behind a fellow student who was definitely all for Bush with the head nods and oh, very enthusiatic clapping and standing ups, and sitting in front of the students who came up with the idea of students wearing buttons/stickers that say, "God is not a Republican or a Democrat," who, did not stand up or clap, but did listen critically and politely.
I think the speech itself represented the American ideals, and of course it would be, he could not say anything related to politics, but nor does Calvin stand for what he can agree with as President. He did a good job not politicizing, but neither was the speech of anything too deep, never mind that we need more people with substance who are deep. All said and done, I enjoyed the lighthearted beginning of his speech the best.
