Sunday, September 28, 2003

Bum for the day

But enough of that. I did have fun talking to people, trying to "dance" (they had "I Love Rock n Roll"!!!) and hanging around. 11 of us went off to Pecs the next morning. I love how it works here: Thursday are like Fridays and Fridays til Sundays are like the weekend. I was quite apprehensive about how things were going to turn out because we had no accomodation reserved, no one really knew what they wanted to see or go, everyone said to just wing it, which I can go with, but even winging it has some rational head thinking to it. R seems to not get this concept of being responsibly streetwise. I figured there was going to be alot of indecision and lingering around, and that did happen. It is always annoying and frustrating to me, but I think I'm just starting to accept and expect this. Anyhow, we arrived at Pecs, reeking of smoke because the high class "InterCity" trains (that has automatic doors, bigger seats and a dining/bar area) had aircon (I think) and therefore, no open windows to look out and feel the breeze. Many were smoking and for the first time in my life, I was stuck without options in a place with thick smoke and I felt it...wow...my innards were changing. Went to TouInform, found out the whole of Pecs was booked full because of the festival going on there, and found us a probable place to stay 20 minutes by bus outside of the city. I voted we spend the night on the street, and so did Paul, so we all agreed. I didn't want to spend a ton on a bed and bus fares, and not having a long night in the city just because we have to catch a bus back. It was warm and the sun was shining then. What I forgot (and so did everyone else) then was that it get real cold at night. It musta gotten to be no more than 10 Celcius at some point. We watched what we thought would be dancing in the square. It was some weird show in Hungarian. The folks dressed up like peasants of some time ago. It was very European I suppose one could say. There was some theme of Creation, Fall, Redemption to it--I think it went something like the people of the town were immoral and did um, bad stuff like sleeping around (it was very explicit and clear) and executing others by hanging, and then demons from hell came (dressed in black and red...but acted more like prowly cats) and then nuns came out, beating their breast in repentance (but the men that needed to repent too, I think). There was some dancing I guess but it was all too weird and embarassing for me. We spend the rest of the evening bumming from restaurant to restaurant, bar to bar, as each one closed for the night. We were the last to leave McD and the first to return (it was the only place that opened at 7am). We got kicked out of a 4am eatery with earth-shattering music, walked around the city again and again and slept on benches (or tried to). I never ate so much...I got pasta, two burgers, three ice-creams, a chocolate McD pie and pastries that evening--that was Pecs for me. Me, Allison, Jen and Erica did find this cool place. It was in a bar, but then, that was all that was open then. It was called "Chill-Out Bar" and looked very New Age-y. There were couches and dim lighting, music and tapestries. The couches were wonderful, at that point in time, they were heaven for all I could care. It closed at 2am, and after that, it was pure suffering for me. I think that night was when I had my low point. It was cold. Very cold. I seriously felt like dying. My body screamed for warmth, I could feel my body yelling at me (if that's possible) to get some shelter, warmth, the basic survival instinct kicked in real hard. I was a real baby whiner, a real awful person then. Jen, Laura and I huddled and piled on top of each other for a while in out attempts to get warm, it helped some but I ended up all cramped up. I was wearing three layers but it felt like none. Nate had seven, I want to say rotten. We walked around the city, scouting for night spots, saw every dark side of the city, sight see-ed the Basilica of St Peter's and the tombs in the dark. Time never, honestly, moved so slowly. I was ready to bawl by 5.30 am and time stood still from then onwards. But then I kept thinking of the homeless that did this every night. I feel like a very strong advocate for the homeless right now. The sun rose at about 6.30am but I couldn't enjoy it. We all stood outside McD 10 to 7, got outraged when they served no hot drinks (but adversited them), but it was warmer indoors. Well, I suppose I could say that I had been curious about living in the streets for a day, just to experience it, and I did. Now I definately now what it feels like to have no home, and I never want to be in desparate need or homeless. This motivates me to keep studying hard and working for a career. I have never been so grateful for warmth, a bed, a roof over my head, and people around me as I am now. Thank God for the sun. I found a decent cafe down the street from McD's and hung there the other girls til we were ready to go home. Kelly and Janelle had already left early in the morning cause J wasn't feeling too good. Beth, Paul and Nate hung around McD playing cards and sneaking sleep without the workers noticing. Halfway to the train station, I got this cheerful burst of energy and decided to go back and do what I was suppose to do in Pecs in the first place--visit the city's attractions. So went back but couldn't find Beth and the boys (the late goers), so went off alone. Very exciting. Had another ice-cream. Saw the bath ruins, the basilica again, almost saw the musuems and more of the street life. Bumped into the late goers again at the Deli train station, Nate looked especially moody and tired (don't mess with him). Was still feeling exceptionally happy and joyful. Got back, cooked, laundried and read. Hit the pillow at about nine or ten and was out. Pretty good considering I had not slept at all the night before. That was crazy, but I'll do it again...bum on the street.

0 Blogback:

Post a Comment

<< Home