Friday, November 21, 2003

Read an article about Mel Gibson's latest movie, "The Passion of Christ" and was very surprised to know that it is a movie made to actually tell what really happened, the truth according to the Gospels as a historical authoritative reference. I doubt Malaysia will play it, as they banned the cartoon "The Prince of Egypt." If they do, it'll be a joyful surprise and a big step in media and religious freedom in Malaysia. I saw a few pictures of the movie and it was rather bloody, almost too much; but I never did imagine the gore, only the immense pain that one would go thru when tortured. Ever since BK class, I have come to see the last weeks of Jesus on earth in a more intimate manner. I learned about the social and cultural setting of the time, how the events were normal to the time (while being foreign to us modern folk) and suddenly things made sense and were more real. Just like stories of the Holocaust become real and plausible when I went to the concentration camps in Krakow and read and met with those who had suffered. The inhumane becomes understandably normal, to put it simply, which is what makes all this very frightening and dangerous. I think the "Passion of Christ" is a movie for all, after all, it is historical and tells a story, not pushes the Gospel, which is how Gospels should be presented in my mind, as it is; and when there are tons of movies made of all kinds of religions, why single out and avoid movies about Christianity? Yet, there's always this fiasco about censorship involved for some reason. From the article, the movie is historically accurate and has it facts right, and because of this, I would encourage anyone and everyone to see it--to let others know what I know and the cause of my belief in Christ.

0 Blogback:

Post a Comment

<< Home