Double ring. A-split pause. Double ring again. Off campus call, I cannot help the thought that straight a-way pops up in my mind. Off-campus calls were such exciting events. It could be a call from home, from a close friend far away, from a prospective employer; it was from the wonderfully free outside world of campus. Fellow dormmates would yell "off-campus call!" up and down the floor. Boring single rings, on the other hand, signalled on-campus calls...which were always from a fellow on-campus house-r or a professor, or your on-campus employer (that's a bad sign already, it's usually when you're late for your job shift).
That double ring thrill of excitement still brings a surge of endocrines in my bloodstream. I try to undo this learned reaction now, it seems silly every time I hear the phone ring at home. A double ring-ring. And a thrill gathers within me.
G-bye dorm life, on campus life, I did enjoy you.
