Saturday, January 27, 2007

My help comes from the Lord

So I've been going to work and am getting to know more and more patients that I will be working with...kids. Yesterday night I was feeling very overwhelmed, this past week has just been a lot in terms of actual working in combination of emotional stress. Yesterday was the result of this build-up. I'm getting too overworked up about my patient's social situations, and I know everyone tells me that you're not suppose to get personal with your patients. I guess my struggle is finding that line and staying behind it. There's always hurt and pain in hospitals. But then it never something to get used to. I am still new, but it's already 3 weeks. And I don't think it's patience that will change anything. The few patients I work with are little ones, toddlers and below. And I see the parents that take care of them. And I see the reacts of the children towards their parents and I wonder, how can this be? Parents who do not care, or do not know (I'm going to assume that) how to care for their children. Not all parents to be sure, but many enough to be causes of concern. And yet, the children cry and experience extreme distress when their parent(s) are not around. Despite all the un-care they receive. These children love their parents no matter what, they want them physically present, they want the eyes of their parents on them, to see approval in any way. It's amazing how their eyes light up when their parents look at them, say something to them, even if it was the first time in days their parents had come, the first time their parents had paid any attention to them despite being in the same room, same place as they are in. You can always tell who the parents are by the delight, the special delight that is only given to parents by their children. But you can't always tell who the parents are by the way they treat their children. You get that from the chart. If this is the kind of faith God talks about, the child-like faith--that we come back to the Father, trusting with understanding that He loves us no matter what, then I don't think I really got it until now. And perhaps it goes even deeper than that.

What will happen once these children grow up enough and discover that their parents aren't always there for them? That the parents have big problems with their own lives, and neglect them? That even if the parents do say they love their children, it's only love in words and not action? What then?

0 Blogback:

Post a Comment

<< Home