Scam scham...why me? A poor graduate student.
Really, it's because I'm also time-pressed, food- (I mean the real kind), and sleep-deprived...and still naive about the world. So, I do know some kekok things about the world, I'm not all that un-streetwise. I read about those money scams...you know, those coming out of mostly Africa (to generalize) asking you to cash cheques/money orders/cashier's checks, etc. and send them the money for some really good reason, and then leaving you broke a month later when your bank finds out that oh, the check was actually no good, and we are not liable in any way, so we can't help you.
But...thank you thank you Jesus, praise the Lord! He put people in my life that spoke up just in the nick of time to tell me, yes, be suspicious, it's okay to be so, and this whole business is very fishy. I've been in contact with 'Stacey' who supposedly was in Spain, with her dad in the Middle East, who was looking for a room to rent while she attended school here. I thought, international student, must help. I asked the wrong questions, highlighted the wrong parts of her emails. Now two months later, I think of the other emails inquiring about my ad from legitimate CMU students (But as God has delivered me from this, I trust He will help again) and the lease I am still bound to. Anyhow, long story shorter, the dad sent me two money orders to cash, and then asked to return about 60-70% of it back via Western Union (really, when Western Union says send only to those you KNOW, they really mean it) cause the company accountant had accidentally sent too much money, and they had none left to pay for the plane ticket (their travel agent was in the UK). To increase the diversity of this plot, the money orders were mailed from Benin, West Africa.
On an occasion that I was getting frustrated with 'Stacey' because she didn't answer fast enough/didn't give me a number to call her so we can speed things up, I said that as a Masters' student, she really should brush up her English language...her emails were difficult to read and understand. The persons in the room looked at me--how insensitive, and from me, an international student too that doesn't speak correct English all the time anyhow (PS I do get along with those persons in the room). But now, I think, maybe asked 'Stacey' if she and her 'dad' wanted to hire Zara to correct all their emails. I am sure this will increase the level of success they achieve in their future of scamming. I should get Zara to edit this Note as well. But thank God things did not go as quickly as I had wanted. I was at one place or another out of town all the time until it was really late and the lateness of it all combined with the noted lackadaisical attitude I was getting from the emails were suspicious. Thank God that I was a mix-up with the bank earlier this year that made me extra careful about dealing with any kind of financial deals.
So, to the Scammers: If you must scam someone, try those who actually have more money, and leave those .edu email alone. But I hope you search deep down inside and find your conscience telling you that there must be more to life than scamming and getting rich quick. Also, quit sending me all those emails, they all say the same thing, just with a name and age change...I would think several templetes, instead of just one or two would be better in the long haul if you're looking into scamming the same person (like me) more than just once. To everyone else, what out, watch out, they don't always talk money right from the start.
So, anyhow interested in a room in Mt. Pleasant? Semester long lease. Call me.
