Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Vocal abuse

I didn't know I had a good voice until I ruined it...not completely, thank goodness. My voice is now slightly scratchy and gets tired easily. After a sore throat, my voice does not go back to normal the way it used to, it sounds different to me now, feels different although I don't think it's noticable to another person. In a clinic report, it would primarily be categorized as hoarse and strained, with fewer words per breath group. I am super sensitive to my own voice, and to a doctor, I'm still within normal limits. Sigh. And I am convinced that I have vocal polyps when it get really bad, because it's either that, or my epiglottis is getting stuck once in a while during a swallow and occasional cough. Maybe it is vocal nodules due to the consistent increase in the use of my voice. But then again maybe that is just aggravating the existing problem. Because there's usually some infection going on with the sore throat. I was tempted to drive back to Mt. P to see if they will let me do an endoscope to myself...that would be cool and would finally give me an answer to what's going on down there. I already know I've got hyperadducted aryteniods and maybe those are what's getting caught once in a while. When I have money to spare, I'll get one of those dental mirrors and then maybe I can figure out what's going on. Meanwhile, for one that suppose to give consults on vocal hygiene, I need to start taking my own advice.

1 Blogback:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

when you eat, drink,sleep, think and treat yr body well, you are well in every aspect. You are immune to all the infections around you and everypart heals(including the cells in yr throat).
So dont just focus on what's happening in that area, just be well.
love u lots

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home