Sunday, November 18, 2007

Adolf

I decided to change my beliefs, one part of it anyhow. Principles rather. I think, or perhaps just opinion. See how much it guides my actions. Up to a week ago, I thought that everyone, despite how awful the actions performed, have some good in them, deep deep down inside, buried in the subconscious. For most of us, we do not act with evil intent, and to become evil ourselves. And the phrase that always resulted in silence in friendly debates I encountered in the past is, "Adolf himself had to have some good in him, misplaced, but good nonetheless...he had family he loved." I had to believe that despite all the hurts and sins in the world, in daily life, at the microlevel, people do not act solely out of malice.

I take all that back, and now think we all are born evil. I suppose this should have been quite obvious, growing up in a church. But to understand the implications of what this means is separate. I think we learn a lot in our heads and discuss them around the table, but until thoughtful discussion and life experience meet, the speeches and words and concepts we have in our minds unconsciously, subconsciously guide our actions without us really knowing the presence of its influence.

So we are all born evil and that's the beginning and end of hope in our pitiful existence...save, the grace of God and the blood of His son on the cross for our sins...the evil in us. I went to a Korean church, and the sermon was on this matter...very basic Christianity. And then he said, the bargaining, the justification, the trying to do this and that to make us worthy, or feel good about being a Christian, in relationship with God, perhaps, comes out of this reasoning that we can somewhat redeem ourselves...sure we need Jesus, but we also play a part in pulling the wagon home. That was a timely reminder that ALL have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. We, in ourselves, have nothing to offer God that He does not already have or need or aspire. I know sometimes when I know I am not walking the walk, so to say, I try to pray more, go to church more...but that's it, it's no more than action, however, 'holy' it may look. If the heart is not right, then there's no point in going to church, in thinking of God, in singing those CCM songs or hymns. Understanding that if we come to God, however naked and filthy, if we have that faith, the trust that He will draw us close to Him anyways--that's the heart He's looking for. At least, this is my amended thought. Cause we had nothing to bring to the table in the first place...we don't today. Cause He sent His beloved Jesus to die on the cross for us, we're saved. What we can do, all we can do, is out of thanksgiving, a response to His grace, a response to knowing His love.

0 Blogback:

Post a Comment

<< Home