Funny quotes from work
As much as I work with children to try to get them to speak, they do the cutest things and say the funniest words when they do come around. This should be in my other blog, but oh well...
I had a conversation that went something like this with a girl who has yet to reach the double digits in age. We were playing with Barbies and she was showing me the different hairstyles we could make with Barbie's hair:
Child: "When you were a young adult and got married, did you wear a white beautiful gown?"
Me: "Well, I'm not married, but I guess if I was, I would wear a white gown."
Child: "Why aren't you married? That's what young adults do. When people grow up into young adults, they get married. Young adults can get married."
Me: "Are you going to get married and wear a white beautiful gown when you become a young adult?"
Child: "Why yes. I am going to get married when I'm a young adult and wear a beeeuuuutiful white gown."
Me: "What's a young adult?"
Child: *looks puzzled and pauses* "A young adult is a person who is young and who is an adult." *nods head with satisfaction*
Me: "Is XXX (another therapist she sees) a young adult?"
Child: "I guess so." *thinks some more* "Why, yes, she is a young adult."
Me: "I think you're right. XXX's a young adult. "
Me: "Am I a young adult?"
Child: "I think so..."
Me: "Is your mom a young adult?"
Child: *looking very serious* "Why yes...deep deep deep down inside she is."
A more recent scenario: This kiddo kept throwing everything, so I made it into a game, to structure the throwing, get some interaction going. He's older but is non-verbal, but this situation told me quite a bit about his receptive skills! Soon enough he aimed a squishy ball at me, and I gave him a look (with a smile!) and told him "A-ha I know what you're going to do with that." And he gave me this sly smile, turned and put the ball down and laughed...and stopped throwing things around.
And then this is an ongoing deal: I have a little cutie that's always staring at me from across the room...he used to have this "she is going to play with me today" look on his face, but now it's just wide-eyed eyes following me around the room look...could be because he's switched to a different therapist...and it was very hard to give him up...he's such a darling. And then when his mom's in the room, he'd look at me, go to his mum and bury his face in her shoulder, turn back at me, giggle if I say anything to him and bury his face again. When his mom's not in the room, he'd come up to me, reach hands out for me to pick him up and play aeroplane with him :)

I'm sure these are the moments you are glad you're doing what you're doing. :)
Cheers!