Monday, January 31, 2005

Went to the Abbey last weekend. It dang good time. I felt a little awkward at first, not knowing what was going on and being unable to keep the Greater Silence (and was glad to know that Rob did not live next door in the guesthouse, but was only sent over to clean). But then after figuring out what do where, if I may say, the peace settled in...

It was my first real away-from-Calvin break and man, it was way too short. I couldn't get Calvin out of my mind, which was the main purpose to get away from Calvin. Nonetheless, the change in scenery was well-welcomed. The Abbey's about an hour and a half to two hours' drive from Calvin. Another happy note here: my first 'long distance' drive (yes, it is, when you live in GR and 'far away' is anything more than 10 minutes away) using my baby Nissan, and I didn't get lost or make really faulty wrong turns. Anyhow, me and Golda went. She had gone before with the Indian apartment and loved it. I was quite terrified of the monks, but soon they proved to be wonderful people to be around with. In a way, the highlight was when we got the chance to talk with the monks, or simply listen in to a conversation--and there were more times that had to be kept in silence than not. Talking time was during tea time and Sunday dinner, which we did not stay for, due to school the next morning.

A guy named Jim was there, a Abbey-guest since the 1980s. Wow...very cool, and he was hilarious! He kept laughing and whispering during the services and mealtimes, both times that silence was suppose to be observed. I figured he knew his way around here and gave into laughing, no, giggling as well. We, well, I'll speak for myself, I was kinda awkward, being not accustom to the graceful and flowing movements of the monastic life. So, being noisy and awkward during the service made that funny; Jim was also great at whispering jokes during the services. One of the monks read during mealtime and when we were there, it was a book about spices and olden day medicine and embalming and illness, etc. "...whether or not it should be vomited out from above, or expelled from below..." I enjoyed trying not to laugh. The monks eat fast too! Prior Aelred was always the first one done and he sit there rolling his eyes and waiting to be able to ring the dismissal bell once everyone had finished their meal; I admire his speed and tip top mental and physical condition.

I enjoyed the peace and quiet, the lack of pollution and cars and noise. I enjoyed the trees and time to be quiet and meditate. Ai, I'm already planning for a time I can go back there...Golda and I plan to cook the monks chicken curry...some of them really like Indian food, and we talked quite a bit about that, very impressive.

I have to write these down (quotes are not exact due to bad memory and taken out of context):

Fthr. Wllm: ...you can always tell who the postulants are, with their loud clumping like elephants and banging doors...you could always tell if they were coming; and then when they observe the new-comers, those postulants ask, was I that loud when I first came, and of course the answer is, yes.

P. Alrd: (on some topic of US politics) Now then, we won't know for certain if it's true...it was reported on Fox News. Who knows, President Bush might have said something entirely different!

Rb: *shakes head* I don't do exercise.
Jm: My exercise is carrying the coffins of those who exercise.

Fthr. Wllm: Thomas, who is an abstract mathematictian has now joined the abbey, and has been ordered to sort out the pots and pans in the kitchen.

Fthr. Wllm: ...and they were out of sweet lassi. It's like saying they were out of martinis! I couldn't believe it. Make some!!!

Jm: So, you want to be a monk too?
Gld: Is that possible?

Fr. Wllm: (about the beatitudes, aka, the Be Attitudes) ...and there were times when I knew exactly what they meant and could understand them perfectly clearly--these were times when I was a young adolescent, or when there was a new preacher or youth leader, exciting and fresh...and then there were times I had absolutely no idea, could not fathom what they meant; and there were those that did, but they were simply *pause* fibbers.

And I suppose I should end with this note, that the sermon was indeed refreshing. The way he worded it brought new meaning into the well-preached on topic, the Beatitudes. One thing that stood out to me was his point that the curse was to be poor, to mourn, etc. but the blessing is to be rid of that curse. And we are agents of those blessing, and should give them, and receive them when we are the ones that are/is cursed. Most of all, in summary, I loved how the monks showed to me that balance and moderation is okay. I needed this reminder, that I don't have to be a stoic or righteous, and it's easy to slide into that when I'm trying to know God. I sense a deep peace and calm in them, and I love that they should "in-the-worldness" amidst growing deep in Him, and gracefully so.

0 Blogback:

Post a Comment

<< Home