Sunday, January 02, 2005

It's intriguing to see the different ways the tsunami news is reported by different sources in different countries.
The incident is tragic, one of the worst ones yet (and 'worst' just seems to be more and more frequent in these times). The whole ecosystem is going haywire, the effects becoming more and more obvious. It's terribly wrong. But then I can't help but squeeze in my presumptous bit: the irony of man-worsened natural disasters, man-created measurements scales and detectors for natural disasters.

For some reason currently unclear to me, I feel numb to the horror of the tsunami disaster. Have I grown used to pain? Rather, inappropriate thoughts come to mind, like...'some try to gained some control over them (as human nature is, to feel less threatened), and then some challenge the laws of nature.

Which carries me into a different topic: why do we, humans, always try to control and perform acts that we cannot attain with A) the thinking that we can, or B) cynical hope/belief? Which reminds me of philosopher John Hare's book, The Moral Gap. A very interesting concept when I first read the book; the book was my formal introduction to the discipline of philsophy--a bad introduction book, a good intermediate one. But definately not pedestrian (hah...there's my GRE word for the day!).

0 Blogback:

Post a Comment

<< Home