"...And 4 is the magic number."
That trick game drove me nuts for about a week, spent a full hour just trying to figure it out when I first heard about it. Did not manage to figure it out myself, finally a kind-hearted friend decided to tell me. See if you can figure it out:
-Pick a number, any number.
Example 1: 25...so, 25 is 10, 10 is 3, 3 is 5, 5 is 4 and 4 is magic number!
Example 2: 8...so, 8 is 5, 5 is 4 and 4 is the magic number!
Finals are creeping up, and I can do it! I just need to focus and be as happy as a lark...hmm...this is the first time in many moons that I have used idioms.
Anyhow, evaluations at work are coming back in through the mail. I get a little nervous, and try to be as objective as possible...after all, I can't put my self worth on the time for tons of people, I can't please everyone...or so my mantra goes. But it's tuuuuuh. These evals are the blatantly honest evaluations of my job performance, or so that's the purpose of them: anonymous and lots of spaces to comment. I read some today in the hope of comforting myself with self-seeking praise. The agancy evals did just that while some of the student evals did not. It was strange, or rather, very interesting to see a trend in the kind of evals the students vs agencies returned. You could tell the objectivity and "in summary" sort of feedback in the agencies' evals, while the students' evals followed the trend of I-don't-like-evals, or I-don't-want-to-hurt-whoever's-getting-this-eval, or I'm-mad-and-who-cares-about-what. As for myself, to sum up what I know so far, no surprises were noted, and the complains I got were expected and changes to reduce these complains were out of my control at that point in time, and still are due to lack of resources and manpower. Positive feedback nursed the wounds and assured me that I was making some people happy and making an impact in their vocation-discovery-journey. But then, I got this email today that made me feel like a deer caught in the headlights (and here in Michigan, we don't like deers in any case)...and there I go again with the idioms. I don't know the meaning of the email, but I will find out soon, and besides, have yet to discuss the matter with collegues. I like to think that I usually think worst-case scenario, and then work backwards to make sure I don't miss out steps or what-ifs.
