Went to the Young Church this Sunday. It was good, but a little different than I was used to. For one thing, when I got to the church (apparently they have the first three Sundays of the school year oncampus, and then they move back to their regular location the rest of the year), I found that the service was held in the auditorium, and that's fine. The only problem I had was the moment I stepped in, it was pitch black, and I couldn't see where I was going. It was praise and worship time, so the band was up front (colored lighting) and everyone was singing, but no matter how long I stood and waited for my eyes to adjust, everything around me was still very dark. It was like some kinda concert was going on. Finally, I heard a voice beside me, "do you want to sit down?" And found myself being lead, another person appeared right in front of me, to lead me straight on, and another person at my side to show me where the seats where. I lose them once on my way down the aisle...which turned out to be three rows down from where I was originally standing, hmmp. The lights did finally come on when the sermon started, whew.
Think I might go here for the year...I like how they are Bible-focused. The only thing that bugged me was when 'locust' was interpreted as the insect locust and not the plant locust, which was what it is (in Luke 3). Minor detail but good to know when studying the Bible in its cultural context (am I being too picky?). Else, the theological teaching was sound, I hope they go deeper as the year gets along. Haven't really found out about small groups there, they don't seem to have small group bible study, etc. Ministry groups seem to be their big thing.
