It's only 2 years (only 90.5% more to go)
Yesterday another client cancelled. The reason why it's the worse than the last time this happened is because one, it was me and another student clinician that were involved planning for this client, two, client treatment was focused on an area I had no working/theoretical knowledge on but sweated and dug up as much as I could about this area a week in advanced just so I could work with this client, and three, we actually had a session all planned out and on the appointed day, client is a no-show. It would have been very nice if the someone in charge had told students like me if a client has decided not to come BEFORE I work my butt off and not a day AFTER, when I go to find out what's going on, as I do go see persons in charge that will not be names on a daily basis.
Yes, it is very nice not to be in the wrong and slip up on some working detail as I so often do, well, did. But not anymore.
It is disturbing that it's almost mid-semester and I have only one client, that began a quarter into the semester anyhow. I had double the workload in undergrad, gimme a break! Where's the challenge everyone talks about? Grad school is a breeze compared to undergrad! And I sincerely regret this.
About being here:
PROS
-There's a Java City in the building I'm in that sells 'fancy' coffee and smoothies (it's expensive, but just nice to think about). No sit-down though.
-There's huge glass windows to look out and couches/seats by them to study and people-watch from.
-The second-years are very nice and tolerant of us first-years.
-My client is but one, but this allows me give her my total and undivided clinical attention and energy (except when I get news of a possible nother client and have to start plans that hopefully will get to be USED). She is a darling sweetheart.
-My mentee is awesomely proactive and looks ready to do the real deal.
-I do have a couch, a bed, a nice closet, a semi-functional computer (I can do emailing, use Microsoft Word and that's all I essentially need), a comfortable chair, and a dorm-room TV at home.
-I don't have to pay for tuition and board, for the most part anyhow, for this year anyhow.
-I got to meet Laurie, a lecturer and my clinical supervisor that has shown me another good teaching and mentoring style.
-Everything in town is a 5-10 minute drive from everything else. There's a Meijer's here...they amidst renovation, and guess what? The liquor aisle has expanded to twice it original size (this is a con).
CONS
-Administration rots. I haven't received my stipend cheque yet (it better come soon!) due to a mix-up and the way their wonderful system works, and it's already a month into school. So, I don't have a bank account yet because I don't have enough to open one here. Also, I need not say anything else about the courses we're forced to take (I took them already! hello...) and muddled scheduling and incredible fear of being sued, that being the drive of how everything is run.
-The superficial smiley attitudes and talk that goes on behind backs, not just at the student level. I suppose that's everywhere though.
-There's no bookstore/cafes anywhere where you can just go in sit, get some hot drink, read and unwind. I heard rumors of a 'Malt Shop' but I somehow I don't think it's cafe atmosphere.
-Going to bars and getting wasted is the main social event here. That's all you hear about too. That, and going to the school's football games, which rots btw.
-There's no international food stores, when I asked about it, they gave me a health food store's address.
-All the work I put in but results in no good use because of constantly changing information. The inefficiency of inter- and intra-departmental communication.
-Food oncampus rots...GFS is here too!
-Not learning anything new in my classes, save one. Not being able to get out of those classes and attend others (not being told of this until day 2 of orientation!).
