Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I am overcome by immense fear that something really wrong will go tomorrow when my prof meets up with the teachers involved in the project. And my prof will have no material to back it up because I didn't supply it. And everything will be terribly messed up and I'll have to heave-ho, go through all the data again. I really really hope tomorrow will go very well, as planned and everything can move on to the next phase.

Here's a conversation I had yesterday night, and wondered about tonight, but will brush off later when my head hits the pillow and I'm totally zonked out:

A: Hi there.
Me: Hi, hey we're in the same group [it's actually pair].
A: Yeah, I was thinking about it and stuff, and I have a cousin that we could tape.
Me: Yeah, that sounds good, I don't really know any kids here, 'cept I was thinking about B, her daughter.
A: Yeah, and I thinking it would be nice if we could do everything together, but I don't know anyone here as well, but I'll figure out things with my cousin this weekend and see how it'll work out.
Me: Yeah, it'll be nice to do it together but yeah.
A; Yeah, and you know I was in XXX [prerequiste class for this course] and the assignment is kinda the same, I don't know about your writing and stuff, but B [a coursemate I had as teammate for a previous class assignment] said you were okay, but I did well in her [the prof's] class last semester, so, it should be okay.
Me: [thinking, WHAT??? inside, smiles] Yeah, well, I did pretty okay [I got an A] in her class, and I had this same class in my undergrad and had the very same assignments, so I think this will be easy.
A: Yeah?
Me: Yeah.

Okay, so maybe I misread (I hope I did) and that was as close to devilish as I will get without feeling too guilty afterwards. The problem is I hate to prove myself, and I hate it when I get little, trying to be subtle, remarks making assumptions about me and my abilities by peers just because I don't look like the majority that lives in this...this place. This was not an isolated incident, the sad thing is I sense this in some profs as well as students.

0 Blogback:

Post a Comment

<< Home