Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Let's see, I suppose I should blog here so that I can actually remember what's going on in my life. On Monday, I went to the American Lit class to figure out if I can actually fit it into my schedule and all that mundane business. It was rather push-offish to find the prof talking Hungarian in some parts (even thought I was the only "American" student there, I think it should still matter) and she kept muttering about people not discussing enough in class and how there's too many people in the classroom. Long story short, I waited around for the other prof of the same course, different section and took her class. Missed three classes already and a couple of quizzes and will miss more classes, but that's ok, since she said I can do make-up work. Tuesday was a battle of the mind to finish my paper, which was finally done in haste today. Went to see David Zomer for Intro to Theo. class, adn boy, that class is going to be fun. His wife's expecting Nov/Dec and he looked kinda frazzled today. Anyhow, it's an independent study since it's just me and Beth in the class...8 articles to read, 8 one-page journal entires...great! I think it'll be the msot interesting and easiest class eevr. I am really happy, I'm taking all the hard classes which do not really interest me here so I can take fun classes back at Calvin. I'm pretty zoned out now...couldn't think of anything to say in culture class today despite my sincere attmepts for 3/4 sucessfully reading the assigned book, "Disturbing the Peace." It was an interesting book, a mixture of art and politics, but I was there tonight, and once again, Ben made sure the prof got that. Thanks a lot Ben thanks.

Things have really slowed down here with me in terms of exploring the city and its surroundings. Half of the Calvin group are going to Paris this weekend, meeting up with Prof Bays and his wife Jan, thru Beth. It is dissapointing that I won't be able to make it to France or Italy, which I do want to go someday. But one thing that struck me is that the majority of countries I will be going to this semester are "third world" countries, countires that are struggling--it makes me wondering if this is what I am to see and learn here. The less-prettier side of life, the reality of suffering in the world, and how one can go about this.

Talked to Jell last night...was wonderful. I realized then how much I missed of her, her antics. I was surprised of how much I had forgotten about her ways. It was really nice to hear from her again.

Gave in the final forms for Switzerlad today. Am feeling really nervous about the results. I do hope to get in, and I know the crazy anticipation will come when the email arrives from Prof Hardy...as always it would agonizing debating whether to open it or not and all that nail-biting.

0 Blogback:

Post a Comment

<< Home