Saturday, November 01, 2003

After midterm writing, it was off to see how All-Saints' Day is held in Budapest. David Zomer had recommended going to this cemertary somewhat near the Deli train station. So, we did, but I think we came a little to late. It was about 6pm, but it was already as dark as any night, and only a trickle of folks remembering their dead were there. Stalls that sold flowers and candles were shutting down. Candles were already lit on individual gravestones, in anything, guiding our way around the graveyard (it was huge!)...it was the classic night of the, um, dead. The half-moon just appeared between the trees and I can't help but think of those night scenes in "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." It was beautiful in its own silent way. Flowers and candles adorned the graves and I felt a tad bad for those that had none. I liked on that had simple ivy all over the edges...although I think it's by chance there. There was a larger monument-like gravestone in the enterance of the cemetary to remember those who had been laid to rest far away or whose bodies were never found; the communism era comes to mind. A torch was lit on the oppoing side of the monument and the candles around the monument itself are many. Our "Graveyard" Becky took off to wander around in there while the rest broke off in smaller groups and took a small round and went back to the tram stop where we headed off to Prof Sterk's place for Halloween candy and "Faulty Towers," a hilarious Birtish sitcom...although there were some snide racist jokes and such. Typical "Mind Your Language" I suppose. I think that night was the most I ever did in relation to Halloween, or All Saints' Day, whatever you wish to call. I think the realness of the spiritaul realm in M'sia, with religions that are well aware of it, makes separating oneself's from it a stand. I suppose Halloween in the US is more of fun and games and an excuse to have a party, but I wonder who else is listening in.

The group seems to be getting closer and closer, at least everyone is mixing aroud more, branching out I suppose. Makes me feel very happy. Very pleased, as Beth would say. Problems still the flights, the only way I can see myself not wasting/overspending is with Calvin helping me out since I acted based on misinformation. Cannot plan the between semester travel, and time is running short. I dread the Ame. Lit quiz/class tomorrow because of the prep needed for it, and I still have that religion paper to do. I think this is will out though. I'll just be missing the hanging out and having fun with the others part. Yuck!

0 Blogback:

Post a Comment

<< Home