Jit Jit Jit jittttteeee jittery. Just got done with an interview, and I think I made a blunder, ops. Costly ops. But it was the best interview I've done so far, simply because I live the life I talked about. You can tell I'm back into the Calvin life and trying to take (rather, that's the life you live) the advice to off-coming-back-on-campus students: Come back, start sprinting full speed. Yeah. Have a paper already due tomorrow and an exam to study for next week (argh! it is the end of this week already). Sigh, I am so back into the hurry hurry rush here and there routine. But I think I come back with improved management skills. And it is so so good seeing everyone again. Well, there are still some I have yet to meet. Warm fuzzy feeling anyhow.
Warm fuzzy feeling. Which reminds me of what I label Sam Boldenow's finest speel, perfecto (although he'd probably look down a little, smile and snigger in a good way). I had never been so persuaded by a speech, and eloquantly put too. It was a speech that alights people's hearts, stirs up a rousing united cry. But anyhow, I cannot reproduce it in any way close to the passion and frim inner belief that he portrayed with his words. It was then that I thought, yes, I see how and why he wants and can be a wonderful addition to the seminary, and then, God's ministry.
It was our last day at L'Abri and the conversation, as with many, turned to evil in the world. Why the sufferings? Why the pain? Why the selective divine intervention? Of course, predestination was also tossed about. How do we reconcile a God with seemingly so many paradoxes? Merciful yet just. Loving yet allows evil to move in the world. We can name them easily. Newbie was wondering why, why a God of love and compassion would allow people to suffer. Why predestination, when talking about salvation, why the elect (I have yet to reconcile this doctrine fully)? Why utterly destroy a entire group of people, women and children, is human life so small and meaningless to Him? What about the girl that is raped and cries out to God with whatever strength left she has and no help comes? Yes, we can say things will work out for the better, and hard times challenges and helps us grow. But still, is this justifiable?
Sam brought up his view: Our relationship and covenant with God, as stewards in this world, is to give rise to the world's flourishing. The selective miracles, answered rpayers, etc. are only a taste of what is to come in the second world, after Christ's return. The world is imprefect now, and impossible to eradicate nor stop the progressing evil in the world. Christians are called to be agents of renewal, bringing shalom. And our task is especially urgent, as we see much suffering in the world, not to be a part of the cause of suffering, not a passive by-stander; and not to shake our heads sadly, our fist at God, but to fight against this evil in the world, that our hope of a world free from suffering may be realized. It is our hope in Christ that we can carry out the task God has for us on Earth, renewing our hope in Him and seeing now a taste of heaven.
Yeah, this does not give justification to the original words.
