Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Breath of fresh are is sooooo good! Well, there were fumes and dust and smoke from the traffic but I felt a-live! Went downtown all morning today, had to do some research there. Boy, it was such a release to get out of the Calvin bubble, both physically and mentally. I realized how specific topics talked about in Calvin is, certain news, certain lingo, certain way of living. Don't get me wrong, I think the content is good and promotes growth, but we forget too often what the real world really is. We know, we can talk about it, but we forget the little bits and pieaces that gives it it's essence. And it was a bit of a jolt for me. How wide and open the world is, how vast the topics of interest and talk. Scholarly hot topics are great, and do eventually filter down to the general public whether you are aware of it or not, but being one of the masses is great as well, as Chomsky would say, just be alert and aware of it and what goes around and about. I felt joy in taking a bus ride and walking the streets of downtown Grand Rapids. Just being outdoors awakens me. I am just about realizing how big this is in my life. I was talked to Jonny later that day, and found myself just joking and laughing, feeling really clean and happy inside. I laughed wholeheartedly over nothing, and with a little start, realized that was the first time since I got back into the Calvin routine that I had done so--felt entirely content and happy. Just that little 1/2 hour downtown, outside, free to go where ever I please, get lost, bliss. While doing my research, it was really interesting just to see people go about their business, the things they talked about, the way they carried themselves, their facial expressions and small exchanges were great. Very interesting.
I am glad the warmer weather is here...while I dream of "when I get a car," I can take the bus...and there's something about public transportation that I just love! Gosh! I am very glad I got out today.

0 Blogback:

Post a Comment

<< Home