Wednesday, February 09, 2005

So I had my first piano lesson in years on Monday. Deep deep deep deep breath. I was a nervous wreak and told my instructor so. Hmmp. Good that's it's a she and she seems to be very patient and kind. I think I'm a little behind to profit much from this class, but it will give me the piano practising I need.

Had dinner with Byker yesterday night. Was quiet but tried to pipe up. Best thing I said was, "...and I heard they are extending the program to higher schoolers..." That was partially intelligent, or rather just sounding 'into' a intelligent conversation. And then, as the meal was winding down (and me trying not to crunch on the food so loudly, as I came a little late to the dining room and got the privilage to sit at the, wow, I just realized this, the right hand of the president) I opened my mouth in response to a question and ended up talking too long a turn, and then again. But that's ok, because I didn't really look at him and the others at the table, and don't know exact reactions, expect that it got really quiet. Overall, it was a good experience. The main reason for the business dinner was to talk about service-learning and its role (and if the existance of our office is justified) at Calvin. Interesting notes:

-Calvin students do not aim high, but only when they get out of Calvin do they realize that they are competitive and most find graduate school easier compared to a Calvin education. That's why there are few Calvin graduate in 'prestigous' positions (e.g. in the UN, US Supreme Court, and other national and internationally-recognized places), versus many in excellent non-profit organizations. Is this a false humility?
-Are we wasting time on service-learning, and not enough on scholarship (i.e. classroom time)? Some students, esp. those in the 'helping professions' see service-learning as more relevant than actual college courses.
-...and in doing so, forfeit themselves the time that is supposed to be spent on learning higher ed...namely, equipping themselves with knowledge necessary to be able to achieve higher goals. We need people with the power to change laws and policies, as much as we need people working at the grassroots.
-And vise versa, students who only focus on studying loss the ability to connect and understand what's going on at the 'bottom levels.'
-In the end, service-learning is important to a Calvin education, but don't over do it. The President would like to see s-l relevant to the student's future career and vocation. (Therefore, my job is secure).

And I would like to see students having a heart to serve, and not be cajoled or 'forced' to service-learn as part of a course requirement.



0 Blogback:

Post a Comment

<< Home