Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Update

I was informed I needed to update my blog. It's true...I have neglected it since a ton and a million doozies (events that hit you like a ton of bricks) have wamp-ed (like, slammed) into me and I feel nothing and everything now. So bullet points work best I think...and in no particular order:

  • Last month felt like three month...namely because I moved out (it's officially a month now, since I paid the prorated check yesterday...so it must be only a month since I moved in)...but it feels like I've been here forever, which would account for my mistaking I'm super behind at work and have a million things that need to be done, like, right now, like, totally.
  • The new apartment...when people ask how is it...I wonder what to say...it's great? It is but in so many ways that would sound awful to a listener that has no prior knowledge of my recent circumstance. For instance, I like living alone, I like the quiet, and I also like the noise, I like the kitchen all to myself, I like not doing anything.
  • I discovered my dream to furnish the place with 'nice things' has, unwillingly, faded. I am still a nomad and I still don't know where I'm going to end up, or be 'based' at. And I am so trying-ly trying to get rid my habit of ending many verbial sentences with 'at.' It is so hard.
  • Latex mattresses are great...better than memory foam, and if you buy one that all natural latex (better), you're also helping out the environment, I think...
  • I'm listening to...
    • Wheels on the Bus
    • I Love You
    • Old MacDonald
    • Mister Sun
    • Five Little Monkey on my laptop as homework from work. I'm also going to Babies R Us in the hopes of getting what I need for work so that I won't have to go to any other baby store...I get weird looks when I look at Dora the Explorer (although I really don't like this character for some reason but the kids all go ga-ga over her) and nipples and baby food and teething rings. I got disgusted looks when I did this in Michigan...you can tell where the norm is.
  • I never mentioned before, but when I started my job (FYI, for legal purposes, I'm called a 'clinical fellow SLP' and for practical purposes, I'm a speech-language pathologist; either way, I still am considered a student and need a supervisor) my original supervisor came into some family problems that required her to take a leave of absence and she was/is a fabulous supervisor. I know this now because I know her better now and she is fabulous. But that' s ok, I was reassigned to two different supervisors, both are great too...just very different styles. And just as my original supervisor started coming back into the work scene (no, I kept the supervisor I was reassigned to cause why change again, I'm half way there now), one of my 'new' (not so now) supervisors had a sudden medical problem in her family that had to be taken care of immediately. Things were coming together, the department functioned like a smoothly geared machine and then this second tragedy strikes. I call it a tragedy because it is...very sudden and unexpected and cruel. Sometimes I think it's the devil at work, trying to disrupt our lives. Half (or maybe more) of my colleagues in the department seem like committed Christians, and I was just having a break through in church the week it happened...but that's just me thinking.
  • I survived a whole month without getting ill, which is a record for new employees working in the early intervention program...on average, new employees that stay get sick once a month for two years. I am ill now but it feels odd, because I remember the feeling of being not ill after not being ill for a few weeks, rather than being ill, getting better, and being ill again right after getting better...if you know what I mean.
  • I got used to not have the internet or any form of worldly media in my life for a whole three weeks, which felt like months and months to me. And now that I have internet again at home (it's been a 6 days now!!!), I am very aware of how time consuming the internet is.
  • Hmm...I think I screwed up the school district's plan in the last meeting I had, but you know, the kid needed more, more appropriate and more service time. I just hope the parents know they can come back (English is not their primary language). It's awful how appropriate services are hard to get in some school districts, and yet I understand...ppl, we need to put more money in the school!!!! HELLO!!!!!
  • I am getting more comfortable making decisions that affect children's lives for 6 months and 12 months periods at a time, and hopefully not for a lifetime (of course, only if it benefits them, yes, I hope it affects their lives positively forever).
  • Along those lines, I find I need to start speaking aloud the good things I see parents do...I find I see it and just check off another item in my head of things going well. I do tell parents what to do when I see something could be done differently...but I think they need assurance and encouragement just as much.
  • I have an hour long presentation to give to parents next week and have a ton of prep work to do for it...when I will get to it, I don't know....but it better be before next week. The same presentation was given last year...but that one only lasted for 15 minutes...ok, so there you go. Parents ask the most unexpected questions. The one I get a lot is, "I know this is not your area, but what do you think about potty training?" My most common response to that is *smile* And my most common reaction to parents reacting to fulfill their child's basic need for comfort is, "Let him/her cry, don't carry, just wait." And dude, let me tell you, it works wonders for long term development--turn-taking, attention, expectations, patience, discipline, gratification...of course, you have to know the circumstances and know their different cries.
  • I am not yet a year into my life as a working SLP and I already have one school district at my tail questioning my credentials (yes, I will not be applying to work for them anytime now or in the future) and got yelled at by another party for breaking the law (which I did not, but I understand that life if stressful and we sometimes say some awful things to people). I must say, getting to know 'the not so professional' side, a.k.a. 'irresponsible' side (whatever the reason may be) that your professors always talk about has been very interesting. I've always been blessed with the opportunity to work with only the most respectable, responsible and knowledgeable persons until now, but that's ok, it's life. I hate taking sides but apparently, you have to. Make me feel so cautious all the time.
  • So I have some unresolved teenager angst that came out in the last cell I went to...and I totally heard from God. He spoke to me and I've never been more sure...omigosh I don't think I've experienced Him like this ever and it is amazingly wonderful. I am so grateful for those who prayed for me and listened to me...these people in this church are truly reaching out to God and have found Him.

1 Blogback:

Blogger Moomykin said...

Thanks for the updates.

Hope you're settling in well and can enjoy cooking. Therapeutic I think, if you like it.

Also, yes, parents need assurance more than you think, coz every child is different and unique, and you're forever exprimenting and discovering.. Hahaha...

Make some good chicken soup for yourself, and stay healthy. :)

luv ya.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home