Tuesday, February 17, 2004

I have been walking around with ear plugs in my ears, stimulating the sensation of a mild hearing loss. I'm taking Audiology this semester, and after the game of catch-up (the class started in January while I was away), much to my relief (and my prof's), I have done the first exam and the first assignment, both were "due" in January. The assignment was to wear ear plugs to gain the experience of a pseudo-mild hearing loss and go about performing daily tasks and recording down what happened. Man, it's only a mild hearing loss, and I did feel very inadequate. The amplified sounds produced by the presence of the ear plug, of course, made it impossible to entirely produce the effect of a hearing loss, but from the decibels reduced, I think I gained a new perspective and appreciation for people with hearing loss and the Deaf. I cannot, dare not say anything about the situation of those with greater hearing loss. My experience, a mere six hour, mild (!!!) hearing loss experience was enough to drive me up the wall and pretty lonely. After I was done with the assignment, wrote the paper, I decided to keep the ear plugs in. Maybe I can plunge myself deeper and come up with an idea of sorts, or a profound revelation.

One possible task suggested in the handout was to go to class with ear plugs...yeah...the prof would probably get annoyed and I, a step behind again. I'm already very behind. The decision to wear the ear plugs in which situation was difficult enough, everything seemed important not to have the ear plugs in. I choose "safe" environments, where I had friends that knew what was going on, and even then, I was in my own created world. This assignment made me realize how profoundly even a mild hearing loss can affect one's life, and how much we rely on hearing everyday, even in matters we do not consciously realize. Hearing is not to be taken for granted. And, on another occasion, I also got to see a part of my body I never saw before--my eardrum :) It was very cool. And I got my hearing tested at 1000Hz. And if it's one thing I learnt from all these experiences combined, it's DO NOT PUT ANYTHING IN YOUR EAR THAT"S SMALLER THAN YOUR THUMB. That's right, don't clean your earwax out, it's suppose to fall out naturally, and earwax is good. After seeing how delicate and fragile the structures of the ear are, don play play.

0 Blogback:

Post a Comment

<< Home